Scope and Purpose:
Plan, direct, and monitor all production activities within an assigned area or unit to maximise the use of the organisation's resources and meet established production specifications and schedules; volume, cost, and wastage targets; and safety and quality standards.
- Develop and implement manufacturing schedules and procedures and allocate labour and capital resources to ensure employee safety and maximise productivity.
- Analyse production, maintenance, and malfunction records to identify problems and recommend solutions (for example changes to procedures, workflow, or equipment) that will improve performance.
- Liaise with functional and operational area managers (for example in engineering, supply and logistics, or sales) to understand their current and future product needs and develop plans, cost estimates, and schedules for integrating these needs into existing manufacturing activities.
- Plan, prioritise, and manage production line maintenance or downtimes to minimise disruptions to manufacturing schedules.
- Lead, direct, evaluate, and develop a team of shift managers and other supervisors who are responsible for various production activities. Undertake six monthly Development and Performance Interviews (DPI’s) with direct reports providing appropriate feedback to enhance individual performance.
- Promote Total Quality Management and Continuous Improvement.
- Contribute to planning and decision-making within the business team so that the production strategy and performance is aligned with other business strategies.
- Undertake safety observations and provide feedback to employees.
- Offer clear leadership and direction to direct reports, fostering a culture based on team working, involvement and innovation
- Excellent motivational and team management skills.
- Ability to think laterally and have a variety of approaches to problem solving.
- Degree in Metallurgy
- Management qualification
- H&S Managing Safely qualifications
- Experience: previous management experience within the manufacturing sector and operating within a total quality/lean manufacturing environment
- Steel rolling knowledge
- Health & Safety legislation specific to Heavy Manufacturing
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel & Outlook
- Knowledge of the SAP system
- Exceptional Customer Service